Friday, June 15, 2012

Getting my crazy on at the Mad Mud Run


My first obstacle race of the 2012 season was the Mad Mud Run on April 21. This is an annual event, but it was my first time doing it.  At 4.5 miles long, it was more than 5K but not as intensive as the 10-mile Tough Mudder I had done in May the year before.

Besides the nice "in between" distance, the event was also close to home, in the master-planned community of Providence.  The course went through Knickerbocker Park; with its play areas, dog park, baseball field, and jogging path, it converted easily to the various challenges of a mud run.  Participants were encouraged to bring new or gently used books for Spread the Word Nevada, which provides reading materials to students in need.

My husband put a video camera on me, to capture all the action, but it felt awkward.  I'd worn one at a couple of other strictly running races, and the bobbing was irksome and uncomfortable.  I decided to forego it at the last minute.

The obstacles in this race were the easiest ones I've ever done, like weaving through agility poles and crossing a balance beam that was barely off the ground.  However, that doesn't mean the race was easy for me.  This race started three hours later than most other races at that time of the year, and things were already starting to heat up.  When the start gun sounded at 10:15 a.m., it was in the 90s. 

I was about a mile and a half into it when the goosebumps started, followed by nausea.  I had never had this happen before, so I wasn't sure what was going on.  Thankfully, I was running with fellow Girls on the Run coach Karen, who is also a personal trainer.  She quickly recognized the signs of heat illness and admonished me to walk.  It was humbling to have to walk so much of the course when I'd earned my bad-ass badge at more difficult events. Karen was so gracious, sticking with me the whole time, even when she was feeling fine.  She and her friend, who was also running with us, kept up a pleasant patter, and we ran when I felt up to it. 

One upside to the situation was that I was thrilled to reach the mud pit at the end.  It was quite possibly the most refreshing mud pit I've ever crawled through!

No comments:

Post a Comment