Monday, July 2, 2012

Terminal 3 10K

Photo courtesy of McCarran International Airport

McCarran International Airport opened its new $2.4 billion Terminal 3 on June 27, and the month of June was devoted to a series of special events for the big occasion.  The first of those was the Terminal 3 Fun Run, 5K and 10K, which took place on June 2.  Nearly 900 of us enjoyed the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to run on the miles of new roads around the terminal that would never again be open to foot traffic.  Proceeds benefitted at-risk children in Clark County.

This event had the largest array of pre- and post-race snacks I've ever seen. I was amazed to see a food station offering lettuce wraps, filled with ground beef, before the race started.  I cannot eat before a race because I get sick to my stomach, even with something as mild as a protein bar.  The thought of consuming spicy meat before running made me queasy, so I gave that table wide berth.  I did, however, load up after the race and had a ton of goodies to enjoy later at home. :)

This event was also one of the hottest I have ever done.  When I finally checked the temperature on my iPhone weather app, I discovered it was only 88 degrees.  It felt like 110!  The fresh, deep, dark blacktop, not having been grayed by the elements yet, must have been reflecting heat back up. 

I had a great time doing this race, but I wish I'd had a chance to check out the terminal more.  McCarran has created a terrific media kit that showcases the art and architecture of the expansion, so I have a sense of what I missed.  I'll be sure to check it out all when I finally get a chance to transit through that terminal.

No comments:

Post a Comment