Sunday, July 1, 2012

Diva Feva 5K





I'm a sucker for clever names.  That's why I wanted to run the Diva Feva 5K.  Well, that and the fact that the race location was just minutes from my house.  Convenience should never be underrated!

This race got off to a very rocky start before we ever lined up. Packet pick-up was a debacle.  The hours got changed at the last minute, and the organizer sent all-caps emails stressing her lack of liability if you were picking up for friends.  I really didn't think it was that big a deal; I've never known anyone to scam packets or anything like that, especially for a small race like this.  Clearly, this race group was new and needed to chill a little.  

I was chill as I opened the door into Road Runner on Cheyenne the day before the race to retrieve my bib, t-shirt and the other race goodies. Packet pick-up is normally a simple thing, taking only a few minutes, and I didn't expect this one to be any different.  An hour later, my chill had been replaced by copious amounts of sweat as the air conditioner struggled to keep up with 30 of us crammed into the petite store, waiting for the organizer to arrive.  The woman handling timing for the event, who was apparently helping out with registration, had been there promptly and looked more and more chagrinned as the minutes ticked by.

When the organizer finally walked in, there was no word of apology or thanks for our patience.  She just set up her stuff and started registering us. The skirt that was promised as part of our registration had not arrived, so we were instructed to ask for race day.  It was only as we were handed our bibs and bags that she expressed regret for the delay.  A lot of people were questioning how the race was going to go the next day.

Driving to the park, I cast off my concerns from the night before, and I was glad I did.  Although they were out of my size skirt when I checked in, I was offered a very nice pair of running shorts as a replacement.  Glittery pink foam tiaras were provided to add sparkle to our run.  There were refreshments and music, and the race started basically on time.  When making announcements, the organizer apologized for the prior issues and told us it would not happen again.  I believe her and will do another race with her outfit.

Instead of a medal, we received a pink certificate. It was a neat idea, but I'm not inclined to frame it and put it on the wall.  I'm thinking of scanning it in, shrinking it down, and laminating it into a medal of my own creation.  That's what a diva would do, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment