Thursday, July 5, 2012

Independence Streak


In the spirit of our founding fathers, I exercised my freedom to pound the pavement this 4th of July.  It was my second 4th of July race, and my first race wearing a costume.  Inspired by a running costume post at Life's a Wheeze,  I picked up a tank top and leggings at Walmart.  I paired them with a blue and silver star tiara from Party City and a white tutu from a "naughty Alice" Halloween costume.

At the last minute, my husband Mike remembered that we had a red, white and blue dog shirt for Sadie.


Desert Sky Adventures gave the inaugural 4th of July 5K Blast a nice twist by doing it at night.  It started at 7 p.m., right before sunset, on the Western Beltway Trail behind the Roadrunner Saloon.   My brother-in-law Patrick joined us, making it a real family affair.

I was a little apprehensive about running while wearing extra stuff.  I do a lot of obstacle racing, in which costumes are also quite popular.  I tend to avoid them for those events, though, because they can get caught on ropes and nets and weighed down by mud.  Happily, there were no equipment malfunctions except for my tiara occasionally falling off.  That's an easy fix: bobby pins!


The race had some challenges with a hill going and coming to get over the bridge spanning the highway.  Nothing too extreme, thankfully.


Somehow, the time and location made the race an extra festive experience.  It didn't hurt that beer and $2 tacos were awaiting us at the finish line.  Not to mention a super cool medal/bottle opener!




No comments:

Post a Comment