Sunday, May 22, 2011

Bike to Work Week 2011 - Day 4

The alarm goes off at 6 a.m., and I stretch with a small groan.  My body feels compressed.  I think it’s from hunching over the handlebars.  Aside from that, though, I feel good.  I’m on a high from my great voice-over class the night before, and I’m excited that I’ve almost made it through Bike to Work Week. 

Time to change things up by bringing food to work.  It has occurred to me that, so far, my bicycle commute hasn’t been very cost-effective.  Although I haven’t been buying gas, I have been spending money every day on water and food.  I usually bring my breakfast and lunch when I drive.  Seemed like too much trouble when I started this at the beginning of the week.  I have a puny backpack that can only hold so much. 

But this morning, I stuff some double chocolate Vitatops, a couple of Quorn cutlets and a jar of pomegranate salsa into the pack along with everything else.  Thinking ahead, I double bag the salsa so that I won’t have a soggy mess if I take a tumble or drop my pack.  I bring cash for water.

I’m pleased with myself.  Now I’m really making this alternative transportation thing work on all levels!

Because I was planning to ride to voice-over class the previous night, I took a slightly different route home.  It was eye-opening . The sidewalk was much better, with fewer traffic lights and consistent curb cuts.  I take this route this morning.  It’s slightly longer and a better workout, and I knock another 20 seconds off my time.  Sweet!

There are no weird weather advisories, and the late afternoon is warm when I head out.  I ride with my zip-up sweatshirt tied around my waist. 

The warmer temps make me rather lazy.  I don’t feel like pedaling furiously to get home.  I let my mind drift and pedal  at whatever intensity feels right.  Despite my lack of ambition, I make my best time home of the week.

Wow!  Day 4 is already over.  Only one more day to go.    

No comments:

Post a Comment