Friday, May 20, 2011

Bike to Work Week 2011 - Day 3

I’m feeling stronger today, less fatigued, maybe because I got some decent sleep.  As I carry the bike down the stairs, I can feel right away that something’s different.  It’s windy… in the morning!  Up to now, the wind has confined itself to afternoon hours, so I’m surprised.  For a moment, I question my comparatively effortless morning commute.  This might be a bit more challenging than I’m used to.
Although the winds periodically gust as I pedal the 6½ miles to my office building, they never really raise a ruckus.  Wind worries behind me, I’m rocking out to my music when my tires crunch loudly.  Uh oh.  I’ve just ridden over a broken beer bottle.  Ugh.  I’ve never changed a flat before.   I know; I know.  I seriously need a course in basic bike maintenance.  I’ve been way too lucky so far.  Will my tires go flat?  Will I be walking my bike home tonight?
Deciding that there’s nothing I can do about it now, I get back to pedaling.  It’s a good ride, and I cut my time by 3 minutes.
By now, I feel almost at home in the locker room on the first floor as I shower and get ready for work.  My dark blue towel looks natural hanging between the shower and the handicap stall.   I leave my shampoo, soap and razor on the shower shelf every day, with no worries that they’ll be gone when I return. 
So far, only two people have come into the locker room while I’ve been in there, one person on Monday and Tuesday and another this morning.  This morning’s visitor is very helpful; she flicks a switch as she walks in, asking me how I can apply my makeup in the dark.  Yeah, I admit it; I didn’t realize there was more light. The locker room has a forgotten feel to it, so I just figured I was doomed to dimness.   I’ve been leaning into the mirror, squinting to better see the foundation I’ve been smoothing onto my cheeks,  fingers crossed that it looks okay.  Thanks, unnamed friendly co-worker, for literally enlightening me!
For the second time in two days, my morning news scan has me nervous.  There’s a weather advisory for rain and thunderstorms, including the possibility of hail.  I have voice-over class tonight, and I really don’t want to be looking like a drowned rat when I arrive.  I also haven’t ridden on wet roads on my bicycle yet.  In Vegas, wet roads can be very dangerous.  The dry, hard-packed earth doesn’t readily absorb water.  The liquid combines with the oils on the tarmac to create black-ice-like conditions: super slippery.  It’s tricky to deal with in a car; I can only imagine how it’ll be on a bike.
However, the weather gods are looking out for me again today.  There’s a hard rain about an hour before I leave, but after that, the skies clear.  I make my best time home of the week.  I make such good time, in fact, that I have a few minutes to change before driving the car to voice-over class. 
Day 3 is behind me.  I’m more than halfway through Bike to Work Week!  Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment